Go Karts are one of the most thrilling and enjoyable gifts that you could purchase for your child. Most of us will fondly remember the go karts of our generation that we used to cruise along in as children.
The only difference is the go karts nowadays tend to be far more elaborate in terms of design, and offer a whole bunch of features that the ones of yesteryear didn’t have.
As a result, purchasing a go kart for your five year old can be super tricky business, there are so many makes and models available out there, that it can be a minefield in terms of choosing (want to find the best gas-powered go karts, read here).
Thankfully, that’s where we come in. Below, we’ve compiled a list of what we believe to be some of the very best go karts out there for your kids.
We take everything from safety to performance into account, giving you a detailed assessment of each of the different models. So find out more, simply keep reading below, as we take a closer look.
Table of Contents
In our product guide, we’re going to be taking a look at some of the different makes and models out there that you can choose from, providing you with a list of pros and cons along the way.
1. Berg Buddy Pedal Go Kart
We absolutely adore this pedal powered go kart, which is ideal for children out there who are just learning how to pedal for the very first time.
It’s got a wheel attached to the front, which is completely adjustable, so as your child grows, you can change this accordingly.
It has something called ‘pneumatic tyres’, which means that the go kart has sealed bearings, and will provide an overall more comfortable and smoother ride.
- Pedal Functions – You can move forward, reverse, and brake with this go kart
- Adjustable Wheel – The steering wheel is totally adjustable, so that you can change it around as your child grows.
- Pneumatic Tyres – Allows a smoother and more comfortable ride.
- Heavy – Some children might struggle a little bit with the weight of the go kart, as it’s a little bit on the heavier side.
- Lack Of Customer Reviews – Although this isn’t necessarily a con, it’s extremely difficult to find reviews from real customers regarding this go kart, which might be a big no no for some of you reading this list.
- EASY TO OPERATE: BERG Buddy includes a BFR system, which stands for brake, freewheel, and reverse. With a BFR system, Berg Buddy B-Orange allows you to brake with the pedals and reverse after coming to a stop, so you can go tearing around easily in this go kart for kids.
- PERFECT KIDS TOY: You will have the best adventures with your BERG Buddy because it's made to grow with you! BERG Buddy features an adjustable seat so it's suitable for most children ages 3-8. This pedal go kart was made to last and even has up to a 5 year warranty available. Since the BERG Buddy B-Orange grows with you, you'll have fun for years to come!
- A FUN SUMMER ACTIVITY: Get the kids off their devices and back outside! This Go-Kart is the perfect outdoor toy to get your kids out and active! The BERG Buddy encourages outdoor play and can be stored easily after play by placing it upright.
- SAFETY FIRST: Thanks to its 4 wheels the BERG Buddy B-Orange has excellent stability, allowing you to take corners quickly, sharply, and safely. The BERG Buddy also has a swing axle which creates articulation of the front wheels, ensuring that all four wheels stay on the ground - a safe solution! You won’t need to worry about a thing during your adventures because the BERG Buddy meets all safety requirements, making it the perfect pedal kart for kids.
- 5 YEAR WARRANTY: The BERG Buddy ride on toy offers a 2 year limited warranty out of box and an additional 3 years of limited warranty can be added when you register your Buddy on the BERG website, so you know it's made to last through all of your adventures. With a powder coated steel frame, pneumatic tires, adjustable seat, and swing axle, the BERG Buddy will grow with you and can be used for years of outdoor fun without the worry of it breaking.
2. Berg Buzzy Go Kart Toy
We love the sleek design of this go kart, which is completely pedal powered, allowing your child to get used to this gross motor skill. It’s small and lightweight, which means that your child can play with this one indoors as well as outdoors. It also makes it fantastic for smaller children who are getting to grips with this kind of toy.
The pedals are also fully adjustable, so that you can change them whenever you need to.
- Lightweight – One of the best things about this go kart is that it’s super small and lightweight, so you can easily transport it if you need to.
- Adjustable Pedals – Another great feature is that the pedals are fully adjustable, so that you can change them as your child grows.
- Suitable For Indoor Play – Because it’s lightweight, this go kart can be brought inside and won’t cause any damage to floors.
- Foam Style Tyres – The same thing that makes this go kart so great could also be a con. The foam style tyres aren’t as hardy as some of the other materials on our list, but they will prevent damage on your flooring.
- Unsuitable For Older Children – Because the design isn’t as sturdy, this one might not be suitable for your child for years to come.
- Get your first pedal experience on a BERG Buzzy. This super cool sensation on four wheels is much more stable than a three-wheeler. Your feet remain firmly on the pedals even round sharp corners. The size of the BERG Buzzy and its EVA tyres make it suitable for indoor and outdoor use. Even the rain will not stop you from having lots of fun with your go-kart! The BERG Buzzy is suitable for children aged 2-5.
- Thanks to its four wheels, the BERG Buzzy has excellent stability. Because tricycles have one wheel less, they are far less stable. The centre of gravity of a tricycle is close to the tilt line, the line between the front and the rear wheels. Riding sharply or fast around corners on a tricycle can easily cause it to tip over, along with its passenger. Because the Buzzy has four wheels the tilt line is much further outwards and further away from the centre of gravity.
- Unlike a tricycle, the pedals and the handlebars of the Buzzy can be operated independently. This ensures that the pedals do not move when steering and the feet remain firmly on the pedals at all times. Riding and steering therefore have no influence on each other, which makes riding on the Buzzy much more fun.
- Because the pedals and the handlebars on a tricycle are connected to each other, a lot of energy is lost in the motion of the handlebars when setting off. The pedals and the handlebars on a Buzzy are not connected and therefore the energy used when pedalling is directly converted into the forward movement of the Buzzy.
- International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions.
3. Razor Dune Buggy
If you’re on the hunt for a go kart that’s a little more budget friendly, then we’d recommend that you take a look at this one, as it’s one of the most affordable on our list. It’s got an electric motor, so it isn’t pedal operated.
It’s also been kitted out in the classic go kart style that we all know and love.
- Design – We love the simple, sleek and stylish design of this go kart model.
- Safe Speed – Although this one does go at a decent speed, it’s certainly not fat enough to pose a risk to your child’s safety.
- Can Go Offroad – This design is kitted out to be able to do some offroading.
- Weight Limit – This one has a specific weight limit, so your children won’t be able to use it forever.
- Lack Of Color Options – If you buy this go kart, you’re stuck with red as the only color option.
- Compact kids dune buggy with powerful 350-watt electric motor. Reaches speeds of up to 9 mph.
- Assembled Dimensions: 41 inch x 26.5 inch x 17.5 inch
- 8-inch knobby pneumatic tires. Hand throttle and brake controls.
- Supports up to 120 pounds driver weight. For ages 8 and older.
- Requires no fuel to run. Battery life up to 40 mins.
4. Razor Ground Force Drifter Fury Ride On
If you want a great go kart for your child that they can cruise around on, then we’d recommend that you take a look at this one. It’s specifically designed for drifting, and as a result, it works well on a number of different terrains.
It’s extremely well constructed, and has been made from stainless steel, and has aluminum wheels.
- Material – Made from stainless steel, this one is guaranteed to stand the test of time.
- Spark Bar – The spark bar emits sparks from the back of the motor, which is an extremely fun added feature.
- Hand Operated Breaks – These allow your child to easily stop and start whenever they need to.
- Design – The design of this go kart is extremely low to the ground, so you’ll need to make sure that they’re properly kitted out so that they don’t hurt themselves.
- Price – This one is a little bit more on the expensive side.
- Recommended to use only on flat surfaces | Race-tuned chassis and super-slick rear wheels for serious neighborhood drifting
- Age range – 8+ | Weight limit – 140 lbs. | Battery – 24V (Two 12V), sealed lead acid, rechargeable | Battery life – Up to 40 minutes | Max speed – 12 mph | Some assembly required
- Durable steel frame, molded aluminum wheels, and 4-1/2-inch tires
- Features a powerful variable-speed, chain-driven motor, thumb-trigger acceleration control
- Hand-operated rear brake
One of the key things that you need to look out for when purchasing your go kart is the material of the tire. Some tires are made from sturdy materials such as aluminum, which makes them great for outdoor play, and cruising on different terrains.
Others are made from softer materials such as foam, which makes them great for playing indoors, but might not last as long. Some of the best ones are made from rubber, as it’s an extremely durable material that offers a lot of grip when your child is cruising around.
Another thing you want to make sure of when you’re purchasing battery operated go karts, is that they’re supplied with a good braking system. Safety should always be your primary concern when purchasing one of these toys.
There are two kinds of braking systems associated with go karts. For the battery operated varieties, they’re usually located at the handles, whereas for the pedal go karts, you’ll normally find these near the feet. Choose the one that your child feels most comfortable operating.
Although each of the go karts featured on our list are suitable for 5 year olds, you might want to consider the fact that your child may still want to play with the toy after they’ve surpassed a certain age.
This means that it’s a good idea to consider the weight limit of the toy before purchasing, as it’s good to choose ones that allow slightly more leverage.
If you’re purchasing pedal operated go karts, these often come with features such as adjustable pedals, and adjustable wheels, so that you can change the range as your child grows.
To sum up, there are a whole range of different go karts out there that are suitable for your 5 year old. The key decision that you want to make is whether or not you want to choose a go kart that’s battery, or pedal operated.
Both of these have their benefits and drawbacks, and it’s essentially what your child is most comfortable with.
Before purchasing your go kart, make sure you consider the material used for the wheels, as this will determine how durable your go kart will be, and which surfaces you can play with it on.
As well as this, make sure that the go kart has an excellent braking system, so that your child is as safe as possible when playing with the new toy.
Finally, make sure that you also consider the weight limit of the toy, and choose one on the higher range, so that your child can enjoy playing with it for years to come.