I’ve never met a kid who doesn’t love to play with Play-Dough.
I’ve also never encountered a kid who doesn’t love to eat it! It just looks so appealing and they can’t resist popping it into their tiny mouths!
That’s why edible Play-Dough is a great option. If you make the Play-Dough safe for your children to eat, you will have nothing to worry about!
It is also a fun activity for you and your children to partake in together.
Table of Contents
Making Edible Play-Dough
There are a few different ways to make edible Play-Dough.
Each one is good in its own way, and it is a great idea to try out all the different options to see which one works best for you and your child!
It is important that the taste of the Play-Dough is just right so that, not only will they have fun playing with it, they will also enjoy the taste!
Marshmallow Play-Dough is a great option when it comes to making edible Play-Dough.
You can use fluffy marshmallows to make a stretchy dough that your kids (and you) will absolutely love to eat!
If you’re like me, you won’t be able to resist the sweet, sweet taste of marshmallows.
Follow these steps to make a marshmallow Play-Dough:
- 6 marshmallows
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
- Food coloring in various colors
- Heat the marshmallows along with 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in the microwave for around 30 seconds. When the marshmallows have melted, add in a few drops of the food coloring of your choice. It is up to you how much food coloring you wish to add and you can create whatever color you want.
- Next, you will need to stir in the cornstarch. After it has cooled down, you will need to knead the dough.
- If you feel like the dough you have made is too sticky, adding some cornstarch will help with this.
This play-dough is super quick and easy to make, so your kids will be entertained in no time! Follow these steps to make vanilla Play-Dough:
- 1 cup of icing in the color of your choice. This icing must be store bought
- 2-2 ¾ cups of powdered sugar
- Place the icing in the color of your choice into a mixer.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar. Do so until the dough is not too sticky.
Fruit Drink Play-Dough
This method of making Play-Dough that is edible is not as tasty as the other two methods above.
It still will not harm your kid if they decide to eat it, so it is better than eating the Play-Dough that you can buy in store.
Follow these steps to make the fruit drink Play-Dough:
- 2 ½ cups of flour
- ½ a cup of salt
- 2 small packages of the fruit-flavored powder that is used as a drink-mix
- Boiling water
- Vegetable Oil
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients including the 2 ½ cups of flour, ½ cup of salt and the drink-mix powder.
- After this, add 2 cups of boiling water to the mixture and 3 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- Next, wait until the mixture has cooled down and then you will be required to knead the dough until it has the correct consistency.
This Play-Dough is edible but it probably won’t taste very nice! This is the most common way to make Play-Dough.
Follow the instructions below to make this flour Play-Dough:
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup of salt
- ½ cup of warm water
- Food coloring of your choice
- You should stir the dry ingredients together in your flour Play-Dough first. This includes the salt and flour.
- After you have done this, you will need to add the water and food coloring to make a dough.
- You should keep stirring the dough until it reaches the perfect color and consistency.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Make Edible Play-Dough At Home?
It is super fun and delicious to make edible Play-Dough at home!
You are likely to have the ingredients for this at home already, so it is a great way to entertain the kids and have hours of fun!
What Is The Best Way To Make Play-Dough At Home?
Making edible Play-Dough at home is super fun and there are lots of different ways to make it.
The most delicious edible Play-Dough is the marshmallow Play-Dough which is made by melting marshmallows and drying them out using cornstarch.
The quickest way to make Play-Dough at home is simply by combining flour, salt, water and food coloring together.
While this is edible, it won’t taste as delicious as the marshmallow option!
Is It Safe To Eat Store Bought Play-Dough?
No, it is not safe to eat store bought Play-Dough. Play-Dough is not intended to be eaten.
Young children love to put everything in their mouths and attempt to eat it, so it is important to keep an eye on them when they are playing with it.
While it is not intended to be eaten, most types of Play-Dough will not be harmful to your kids if they are consumed in small amounts.
Take a trip to your doctor if you think your child has swallowed bigger amounts of Play-Dough.
This is why making edible home-made Play-Dough is a good idea. This way, there will be no harm done to your child if they eat it.
Making edible Play-Dough is a fun and effective way to keep the kids entertained.
Toddlers love to put anything and everything in their mouths, so it is also a great way to ensure that they are safe when they are playing with Play-Dough as it won’t cause them any harm to eat.
There are lots of different ways to make Play-Dough, and these are listed above.
It is a great idea to try out all of the different options to figure out which method works best for you and your kids!